Wednesday 25 February 2015

Chef Select Chili Con Carne

Price: £1.59 (I think - I didn't keep the receipt)

Score (out of five): 5

Review: I will be honest, it was with trepidation that I picked up my first Lidl chilled ready meal. I'm now used to the fact that their frozen food will vary from ok, to excellent, but ready meals can be done so, so very badly. Chilies are usually done spectacularly badly. Quite often they're bizarrely sweet and just not spicy enough if at all.

I think the photo says it all. I was very hungry when it came to eating it after coming home late after a pretty hardcore swimming session, but it was really nice. It was extremely meaty and clearly made with some good quality mince, and it was really spicy and in a nice way. They were not timid with their chili at all. 

The only bad points, and I won't mark them down for either of them, was the rice did end up being a solid block, but once I'd mixed the chili into it, it was fine. And also, it could've actually have done with being bulked out with a few more red kidney beans. But, I'm definitely buying this again. Might even get some to keep in the freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment