Friday 19 December 2014

Eighth day of Christmas - Favorina Mini Panettone

Price: 99p

Score (out of five): 3

Review: I've come to think that panettone is a bit like limoncello and other odd liqueurs - its a gift you're given and thank the giver profusely and then think "what do I do with this?". Now, I know you're supposed to slice it and serve it with apricot jam, but if you're not Italian do you really have time, or the stomach space to eat one over Christmas?

For this reason in our house they sit around in their box until the summer when I get sick of the sight of it and put it in the food waste bin. One year I made a very nice bread and butter pudding with one, adding brandy to the custard, but my partner didn't like it so that's never been made again.

So, I was quite excited that Lidl sold mini pannetone. I went for the chocolate one. It was alright. Nice flavour, but not as light and fluffy, like a fine butter brioche, as the pricey ones from Edinburgh's finest deli Valvona & Crolla. They'll do for an elevenses snack over the festive season, but I wouldn't give them as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment