Monday 1 December 2014

Deluxe Red-legged Patridge

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me a partridge in a pear tree. This is the first of my 12 days of Christmas posts where me and guest bloggers will try and review 12 things that appear in Lidl before Christmas.

Price: £5.99

Score (out of five): 4

Review: well this was one of those random freezer section purchases from Lidl. We'd never eaten partridge before, so it is a bit difficult to do an honest review as I can't compare it to a Scottish partridge that'd been hung in a game butcher for a while.

I also didn't really know how to cook it - I browned off the skin in a casserole dish with some oil and then chucked in some carrot, onion and garlic, and popped the lid on and put it in the oven for 15 minutes then took the lid off to brown it off for the last ten minutes of cooking. Alas this didn't leave it the golden colour on the serving suggestion photo.

But it was very tasty. Very gamey, obviously and remarkably fleshy as well. My general thought was I'd now like to find some good partridge recipes and try again. 

Oh, and I know that the 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas Day and count down the days that it took the Magi to arrive, hence the carol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment